What are the most important things you want to change/keep tidy?
I used to be a very messy person myself but I realised how much having a clean and tidy living area improved my overall mood so I slowly developed some good habits.
You should start small with one or two things that are most important to you, or the worst habits you know that you can change. Here's some of my habits that I slowly developed over time after moving into my own place:
- On sundays I do laundry, vacuum the floors and do a little bit of tidying up. Just getting things off of the floors or straightened up.
- I empty the dishwasher as soon as it is clean and dry, so that I can put whatever dirty dishes I have straight in the machine rather than letting them stack up. I am still trying to get better at washing pots and pans right after using though…
- I get rid of things I no longer use/need so that I am not drowning in clutter. Donate or recycle things you haven't used, and don't see yourself using in the future. Yes you love these brown shoes, but you know that you always reach for the black ones instead.
- Most importantly I try my best to always put something back where it belongs. Pasta containers go on the shelf for pasta after cooking, Books I am currently reading go on either my bedside table or the coffee table. The rum bottle goes back in the liquor cabinet after DnD-night rather than remaining on the desk for a week. (DnD-hating Anon stay away from me)
- I always hang towels and dish rags to dry out before putting them in the laundry basket. If you leave wet/damp things scrunched up they will get moldy and stink up all of your laundry even after washing.