Sorry, but that's really poor advice and makes me thing you're part of the robot raid.
1. Guns and pepper spray are illegal in most parts of the world. Thank god.
2. Self defence teaches de-escalation techniques so the likelihood is that you will never need a weapon with self defence training.
3. If you honestly believe a man is stronger than a woman, then you'd also believe that he'd be able to de-arm her within seconds and shoot her right in the face. Which will 100% happen if you have no self defence training.
4. Carrying a gun never guarantees your safety. Ever.
5. Carrying a gun doesn't prepare you for what to do if someone grabs you from behind and chokes you. Or if they're dragging you down an alleyway by the pony tail. Or holding you down with your legs spread. Or if their thumbs are pressing down on your throat. Or if they're pointing a knife/gun at you. Self defence prepares you for ALL OF THOSE SITUATIONS.
6. There will be many times throughout your life when you won't have your gun on hand. What do you do then? Lie back and think of England?
7. My bf is a foot taller than me. We've practised in the past and I can throw him off me or prevent him from strangling me. I can hold him down with ease when I'm ticking him too :) Providing you're not an ana-chan and you've a decent fitness level, you're already stronger than most criminals.
Ladies, anyone who promotes this gun bullshit is, in fact, a man. Men want you to think you're weaker and don't stand a chance, so you won't get fit and learn valuable, life-saving techniques. Get fit. Get strong. Get educated. Get confidence and you'll never have to worry about falling victim to attacks.
I've never heard of a woman in my area shooting an attacker and living to tell the tale. I have heard news reports of fit ladies like joggers and sportswomen giving their attackers a good kick to the balls and giving a detailed description to the police, though. I'll let you guys figure out which one you want to be.