[ Rules ] [ ot / g / m ] [ pt / snow / w ] [ meta ] [ Discord ]

/m/ - media

Name
Email
Subject
Comment
File
Youtube
Password (For post deletion)

Welcome former PULL users!
Click here to start migrating to our sister forum
Farmhand applications are open

File: 1556154566144.jpeg (329.46 KB, 537x445, EFC09BA4-F919-433B-A6DC-1D3E2C…)

No. 28299

A thread to discuss all things metal! All genres welcome. Post videos, albums you love, pictures of metal heads, thoughts on the scene, or anything your sweet black heart desires.

No. 28301

I’ll start us off! Have y’all heard Darkthrones’ new track? I’m loving the doom influence on it.

No. 28302

i finally got to see these guys live last year and i got the drumstick after the show. still one of the coolest things i own.

No. 28494

My music taste is quite mainstream, but i really like this cartoon metal band Belzebubs, based of comic with the same name.

Characters are made by Finnish comic artist JP Ahonen and the vocals are from the lead singer & bass player in melodic death metal band Insomnium.

No. 28495

Their first music video is also very nice and the band have album called "Pantheon of the Nightside Gods" coming in very soon.

No. 28555

Has anyone watched it

No. 28619

Have some pretty af doom.

No. 28620

File: 1556286380091.jpg (29.07 KB, 355x355, 71LOzB4CpQL._SY355_.jpg)

Highly recommend this album and their other one. All their songs keep getting taken down by the record company off the internet everywhere but if you search hard enough, you can still find it. It's my personal fav metal album of all time.

No. 28656

Classic

No. 28686

>>28619
>sees there's a metal thread
>time for me to post pallbearer
>scrolls down a little and sees this post
fuck yes anon, god bless you

No. 28718

>>28686
And you too. Godspeed, friend.

No. 28722

I can't believe I haven't seen this thread earlier!
I really like listening to Batushka but after the inner fights between band members, I can't enjoy their music as much as I used to, it's like the magic's a bit gone.
I also wanted to order some shirts from Batushka's store but I've read that the store owner sends out literal trash or rocks instead of actual packages which sucks because I love the art.

Anyhow, I've been listening to Mgla on repeat. Also, I ordered a few more shirts from bands I like to add to my metal band shirts collection.

Btw, does listening music on vinyl sound that much better?

No. 28754

I’m such a sucker for some trve diabolical black metal, but here’s a more scenic and peaceful black metal jam for you all to enjoy.

>>28620
I can’t believe I’ve never listened to these guys before, thank you for the suggestion anon! Loving this album so far.

No. 28766

>>28754
Np, glad you enjoy it! Their label is preventing people from discovering their music and it's such a shame.
Please listen to their other album Paegan Terrorism Tactics. The song Venus Blue has the most ultimate 90s vibe!

No. 28832

I hope no one minds me posting this but this album was created by a woman and it has elements of metal, but it's not entirely a metal album.
My favorite track is the catacombs, the mood is amazing.

No. 28839


No. 28842


No. 28843

Okay, I'll stop spamming this thread.
Any of you go to concerts?
There are frequent concerts in my town but I don't have anyone to go with.

No. 28877

I've heard Ihsahn randomly before, but some time ago I properly listened to his stuff and I'm really starting to like it. Especially the last two albums, Arktis and Ámr.

No. 28935

Doom w a female vocalist. Beautifully haunting

No. 28936

Posting best Gwar album

No. 28937


No. 28938

Existential crisis: the album

No. 28939


No. 28941


No. 28942


No. 28943


No. 28944


No. 29208


No. 29350

Rammstein is awesome (music video is NSFW by the way)

No. 29754

Exiled From Light are severely underrated. Unfortunately they're not making music anymore, but their whole discography is a DSBM masterpiece.

No. 30598

Music video sucks anyway

No. 35697

anyone else hate myrkur? lol i wish there could be a thread on her but no one cares and there's no milk. she's pregnant now and really milking it for nordic pagan trad points. also she's naming the kid Viking.

No. 37328

Found this today and really enjoyed it. Maori metal! I can't believe this band is just a trio of teens.

No. 37337

This mongolian band is interesting mix of their traditional music and heavy metal elements.

No. 37348

>>37337
That's everything I never knew I needed. Thanks, anon

No. 37365

>>37337
Mongolian music is literally the coolest.

No. 37426

>>37365
Do you know a lot about mongolian music?

No. 37464

>>37337
Oh my God, they're so cool.

No. 37516

>>37337
They were playing this at my cinema. I'm so glad I searched for it on SoundHound, it's rad.

No. 37527

Too bad, that they have only few videos on youtube..

No. 37800

>>37527
They rock and the long-haired guy Jaya is my new crush. I bet they're a bunch of manlets too, cute.

No. 48640

File: 1568019340916.png (628.57 KB, 500x716, 8BD64912-EC81-4C1C-9000-35E00A…)

What did y’all think of the new Tool album?

No. 48699


No. 48700


No. 48701


No. 48702


No. 48704


No. 48705


No. 48706


No. 48757

current fave album

No. 48818


No. 48819


No. 48820


No. 48874

>>48706
>>48705
>>48704
>>48702
>>48701
>>48700
>>48699
Since I didn't leave comments on these, I'll say something -

Eyehategod are one of the key sludge metal bands, maybe THE key one besides Melvins (who someone else posted), though bands like Acid Bath (also above), Down, Neurosis, Buzzov*en, and Dystopia are also significant. EHG are my favorite for just communicating pure misery. They wanted to sound like "if Black Sabbath was a punk band," though there's also a strong southern blues element.

Behemoth are an amazing semi-mainstream death metal band comparable to bands like Gojira. If you like their style but want something more underground, I'd also recommend Archgoat and Beherit. This isn't the best Behemoth video, but I wanted to promote House of Strombo, George Strombo's new music/talk show (he's a great journalist).
Napalm Death are actually a fascinating band that gets underrated for how thoughtful they were. They had their roots in the Crass-centered anarcho-punk scene and were very influenced by early crust punk, but they tied in major Celtic Frost and Slayer influences to their sound, spawning grindcore. They're connected to lots of other major bands, like Carcass and Godflesh/Jesu. As time went on, they became more and more death metal, but always with a noisy avant-garde edge.
Martyrdöd are a really great band that fuses melodic death metal and crust punk, with a little black metal. They have their roots in the band Skitsystem.
Dawn Ray'd are a solid black metal band with references to peasant revolts, paganism, and revolutionary themes. Sorta like the Rage Against the Machine of black metal. They're notable contemporaries of Panopticon.
Celtic Frost are one of the most influential extreme metal bands ever, and they were a huge influence on both black metal and death metal. They're connected to the bands Hellhammer and Triptykon.
Rotten Sound are a great, really heavy, really crisp grindcore band.

>>28938
This is a great album

>>28555
Yes, it's hilarious, strongly recommended.

No. 48893

.

No. 48926

>>48874
I can't believe I forgot to mention Crowbar for sludge

No. 48992

This is my favorite thing right now

No. 49820

>>35697
I primarily listen to Nordic folk music though I have never really liked Myrkur… I dont hate her either, just kind of neutral towards her. But the fact that she's naming her kid Viking is beyond cringey. Not to mention it doesnt even make sense because the word Viking is actually an English word and vikings didn't call themselves vikings. They did call themselves drengr, you'd think shed name her kid that.

No. 50017

I'm digging Witherfall lately… I think they're progressive metal but I'm not really sure.

No. 50039

>>37337
If anyone's interested in more Mongolian metal, check out Tennger Cavalry (they're from China but it's Mongolian inspired)

No. 50140

I love a lot of metal but most of it is by men. Can you anons recommend some good bands with powerful female vocals? Not pretty singey shit, actually powerful vocals.

No. 50141

>>50140

Arch Nemesis, Shadow, Sinergy, Kittie, The Agonist

No. 50144

>>50141
Thank you. Shadow sounds great.

No. 50163

>>50140
Jinjer (a Russian band)
Arch Enemy (especially with their previous vocalist)
The Agonist
New Year's Day- who tends to be more poppy metal but I still like them
I know there are more, but I can't think of them sorry lol

No. 50228


No. 50232

>>50228
>Misandistric doom
Found the ultimate metal genre.

No. 50236


No. 50325


No. 50378

I had to post this

No. 50452


No. 50564

One of my favorite records.

No. 50565

Sonata Arctica came to my country a few years ago and didn't play Wolf and Raven live reeeeee

No. 50673

I'm just so happy that Mgla released their new album. I'm surprised it wasn't mentioned here already. Needless to say, I've listened to it countless of times ever since it came out a week or so ago.

Their lyrics are absolutely fantastic and the drums, the drums!

No. 52449

>>50140
thorr's hammer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYWGiNLbmhs
this shit is heavy as hell, and that is a 17 year old girl singing. even the growling, absolutely insane.
13
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5ZZejPvaJ0
also female vocals on this, and liz buckingham from electric wizard was in this band. really eerie and heavy.

i actually hate female vocals in metal especially if it's really feminine with high notes. but these bands are so fucking good, i'm very sad they didn't release more.

No. 52499

Now this is special. Not exactly strong vocals, but worth listening to.

No. 52602

>>50565
It's still cool you got to see them. Nice

No. 52970

Even though I mostly listen to metal, I feel weird calling myself a metalhead because the bands i listen to aren't the "staple" metal bands like metallica, megadeath etc. And are a bit more on the obscure side and also tend to be hybrid genres like folk metal and symphonic metal. Do any of you feel the same way?

No. 52990

>>52970
Kind of the opposite. Whenever someone says they listen to Metallica or Rammstein, I don't consider them a metalhead. But that's just my opinion and I usually keep it to myself.

No. 53018

>>52970
I would say a metalhead is someone who mainly listens to metal and is into more obscure and heavy bands.

No. 53020

>>53018
Oh and you need to have excellent headbanging skills.

No. 53048

>>53018
>and is into more obscure and heavy bands.

You mean obscure and heavy bands that were born trying desperately to copy metallica and iron maiden?

All genres of heavy metal are an offshoot of those big bands from the late 70s and 80s that everyone knows. Liking obscure bands doesn't give you extra points, you are still listening to riffs ripped off from megadeth. In metal everyone just changes the tempo a bit and calls it a new genre.

No. 53055

>>53048
> You mean obscure and heavy bands that were born trying desperately to copy metallica and iron maiden?

lol
nta but you couldn't be more wrong. There are tons of subgenres within metal and a lot of them are completely different from the mainstream metal that it would be hard to tell they even belong to the same genre if it weren't for the umbrella term.

No. 53058

>>53055

>all these flavors of the pentatonic scale and megadeth riffs are completely different


I love metal but you are just very naive, Black metal for example was born because a bunch of kids could not play iron maiden properly. All metal has branched out of those 80s bands and the influence is obvious. Genres and subgenres mean aesthetic changes but it all sounds like metal and anyone would recognize it as such, its the silliest thing to call any of that "true metal" over the actual originators of the sound.

No. 53141

>>53048
>Copying Metallica

Like Metallica haven't copied everything. They wouldn't exist without Black Sabbath and other obscure British metal bands.

They used to play covers and pretend they were Metallica songs!

No. 53158

Is everyone here good at headbanging? Or do you just dance like this to your fave songs?

No. 53175

This is one of my new fave bands.

No. 53246

>>53141

Yeah, but i´m not saying metallica is not true metal because of it, or any of the bands from other genres that copied metallica, its all metal anyways regardless of aesthetic changes. If you are a fan of any of it you are a metal fan, no single subgenre has exclusive claim of the label, specially when its all mutually influenced and cross bred across the board.

No. 53296

>>53246
I'm >>53018 and I agree with you, it's the term "metalhead" that brings elitist meathead guys to mind.

No. 53323

>>53246

>its all metal anyways regardless of aesthetic changes. If you are a fan of any of it you are a metal fan


This so much.

That's why I love this thread so much because I like to check everything farmers are posting here because metal has so many faces that makes me discover stuff that I didn't considered to listen to before.

This makes me wonder: What are your fave metal genres?

>>53158

>Is everyone here good at headbanging? Or do you just dance like this to your fave songs?


It really depends on my location during a concert. If I have enough space for banging, then yes, I love to do it but when no, then I just dance and jump around or joining the pit for a bit because banging while not having too much space sucks bc I always end with a stiff neck after that tho lol

No. 53687

Going through a major Panopticon phase rn

No. 58267

>>28299
>What are your fave metal genres?
This is a hard question because I think most of the bands I listen to are mixes of genres. I think the ones I listen to most are power metal, symphonic metal and doom metal. Like one of my favorite bands is Blind Guardian, they're power metal but a lot of their music is very symphonic too. I also like any metal that incorporates a medieval/minstrel sound to it, or doom metal that has symphonic mixed with it. I also love progressive metal but my ex boyfriend was obsessed with Opeth and now listening to them just makes me think of him and I can't find other prog bands that I like.

I feel weird liking power metal though because people always say it's "the most masculine metal genre" and "women don't like power metal". I feel like I can't share that I like power metal because people would think I'm weird.

What are your favorite genres? and also, what genre would you say Lacuna Coil is? They are always labeled symphonic metal but I don't see what's symphonic about them.

No. 58299

File: 1571432166126.jpeg (144.14 KB, 660x342, alcest-kodama.jpeg)

What are other bands like Alcest? First metal group I love. I also enjoyed Sunbather a bit but didn't listen to it as much

No. 58305

>>58299
Les Discrets, Amesoeurs, Lantlos.

No. 58306

>>58267
I didn't know about that. It's funny to me because it's the only metal genre I like.

No. 58307


No. 58308

>>58299

Not quite the same but you can try with tool, Opeth, Porcupine tree and Deftones.

No. 58320

>>58299
not quite metal, but try their labelmates 1476, alcest is a huge inspiration to them

No. 62115

Not a strictly metal band at all, but the latest King Gizzard album is thrashy as fuck and I absolutely love it

No. 62485

Nwn is dead where do you guys go for dumb metal stuff now?

No. 66204

Man, I just love black metal so much. I took a short break from listening to metal because I felt kind of bored, which is crazy when I reflect on it. I listened to a lot of death metal when I first got into metal and I guess after listening to a lot of classic albums and loving them, I wasn't too impressed with a lot of newer death metal stuff. I felt like it didn't pack as much of a punch or I found myself lost in a sea of cannibal corpse rip-offs. I don't particularly care for ultra clean production in death metal either, i feel low-fi production does help add that extra layer of grit. Sometimes anyways.

I also want to say that Paracletus is hands down one of my most favourite albums of all time and rekindled my love for metal again. God bless this thread. You all have impeccable taste.

>>52970
I kind of feel the same way. I tend stick to black metal for the most part.

No. 66363

Found this after listening to the new Mgla album, loved it!

No. 66401

>>62115

I absolute hate myself for not checking it out much earlier because I just bought it this sunday because I've come across this so many times but a review about best metal albums of this year made me finally check it out and oh my god it's on non stop heavy rotation. Absolute perfection imo.

No. 66402

>>66401

also currently digging this classic

No. 66428

I know it can sound ridiculous but at the same time I'm so into black metal I'm also christian and constantly have to check the lyrics to see if it's satanic lol
I don't look for christian bands, but if I like one, cool, don't judge anyone's taste in black or white metal
It's just unconfortable to listen to stuff that goes against my beliefs

No. 66531

>>66428
I think that's so cute! I'm not Christian but I think I've heard of BM christian bands. I don't like them tbh but it's out there.

No. 66549

>>66538
Are you sure lol

No. 66731


No. 66835

>>66731
Kinda close-minded thoughts

No. 66923

>>66835
Yeah they just seemed kinda butthurt that Christians are making black metal.

No. 66960

orgasmic doom/stoner

No. 67038

>>66731
This is pretty funny. Although I kind of get where they are coming from, to me, black metal is all about atmosphere and I don't see how far fetched it would be to incorporate traditional sermons or whatever into black metal.

No. 67546

bit late but deafheaven finally released an actual black metal song

No. 68302

progressive metal recs other than opeth?

and can anyone recommend me german metal? (as in metal that's actually in german, not a german band singing in english)

No. 68379

>>68302
Here is some german black metal I found a few days ago, I don't know any other, sorry. Also one of the songs' beginning sounds exactly like the song hier kommt alex https://mavorim.bandcamp.com/
Also I found a cool german punk band today, I hope that is ok to post https://pisse.bandcamp.com/

No. 68471

I rarely listen to this song ‘cause I’m a Christian

No. 68482

Does anyone know bands similar to Fister, Primitive Man, Vermin Womb, Teeth? They are sludge bands I guess but when I search for sludge I rarely find anything similar, I like the super heavy slow filthiness rather than black sabbath vibes

No. 68585

>>67546
>Deafheaven
>Black metal
Anon…

No. 68727

File: 1577050881447.jpg (68.7 KB, 960x634, DogAraya.jpg)

Looking for bands or albums that are similar to Death, early Slayer and such? Idk just some nice energetic metal that has some brutality going on? I don't care about any sub genre, just the feeling must be fitting.

And if it's the right place to ask: How is it the best way to get into Napalm Death? Where do I start?

No. 68728

File: 1577050972107.jpg (45.76 KB, 599x400, wufTO9C.jpg)

>>68727

here a second pic because I find them very wholesome.

No. 73323

Thoughts on Architects?
I like them because they remind me the not-so-old BMTH.

No. 73334

>>68727
Try Sepulcher - Panoptic Horror, they're like Slayer mixed with old school death metal. Great stuff, also beautiful album cover.

No. 73385

I love progressive metal

No. 73492

New Thy Catafalque album released 2 days ago, I just randomly looked it up yesterday and was so surprised to see a new album.
I'm not sure if this is fit for this thread because it's an amalgamation of various genres but Tamas himself labels his project as avant-garde metal. It's very interesting, I think everyone should check it out. If you like it but prefer a bit heavier music you can check his albums Meta and Rengeteg.
https://thycatafalqueuk.bandcamp.com/album/naiv

No. 73512

>>73334

Thank you so much for this, anon! I'm loving it so far!

No. 74788

I just learned this subgenre or whatever is called blackened sludge. I love it
>>66363
oh this is nice! Thanks anon, if you are still here did you like the Mgla album? My favorite is still With hearts toward none
>>73323
I don't think the vocals fit the rest of the music, I have this problem with most djent bands. I like the part when he goes BLAGH though, iconic

No. 74956


No. 75001

New video from Nightwish.

No. 75012


No. 75015


No. 75496


No. 75520

Getting back into progmetal

No. 75521


No. 75574

>>75496
Ah this brings back some memories

No. 76147

An old favorite of mine

No. 76670

Let's get some kind of discussion going (a first for me).

I'm curious to know how did you all find yourselves becoming either metal heads or liking metal in general? I tend to find that many metalheads nowadays seem to exclusively get into metal because their parents like metal or it was present in their childhood.

I'm probably the most unlikely metalhead ever. I never knew anybody who liked metal and I am a black girl. I grew up listening to regular normie pop music and made some attempt to be in the know of what songs were trendy. One day, I wanted to develop myself as a person and develop my own interests and the best place i felt to start was with music. I stumbled across old school death metal and fell deep into a rabbit hole of appreciating i guess more "unorthodox" styles of music ever since, across all genres in general and being open minded with all forms of art.

I was curious if anybody else had any similar stories to share.

No. 76697

>>76670
what does being black have to do with your music taste? Not being sarcastic here

No. 76753

>>76697
Nothing. Vast majority of metal heads are white and because of that alone, the chances of being exposed to it is greatly lower, especailly more obscure stuff. I thought it was an obvious observation.

No. 77108

>>76670
>I tend to find that many metalheads nowadays seem to exclusively get into metal because their parents like metal or it was present in their childhood.
That's exactly me, my brother was a metalhead, he liked Metallica a lot. I never really particularly liked any of his music but I think it accustomed me to heavier music so when I listened to other heavy music I didn't find it weird/scary, and I eventually found what I liked. I have to confess the first music I actually liked was from Slipknot…
I don't know how my brother became a metalhead since nobody else in my family was. I think maybe because of Guitar Hero lol

No. 77291

>>76670
I got into metal as a teenager through people posting about the 90s Norwegian black metal scene on tumblr lol. I followed some people who would post pictures of Euronymous, Dead, Varg, Fenriz, Faust, etc. and i was intrigued by the ~aesthetic~ and evil mystique surrounding the scene so I checked out some Burzum, Mayhem, Darkthrone, etc. and fell in love. Black metal is still my preferred subgenre and since I came into it through an extreme subgenre route and not the heavy, thrash, or nu-metal route it seems like most people take I’m still mostly drawn to black and death metal. For me it went black > thrash > death. I was into stuff like Swans and Nine Inch Nails before too but I don’t really consider those metal.

I don’t know if I would consider myself a metalhead though since I don’t really participate in anything IRL. Went to one Slayer show and that was it. I wish I had more friends into metal.

No. 77331

File: 1582945762869.jpeg (92.8 KB, 720x791, ER4omB-WsAE8nTG.jpeg)

>>76670
I grew up on a Rez/ trailer parks and there usually full of metalheads and juggalos, but my true awaking came when I was still a kid and I found the one slipknot -psychosocial monster truck/ gravedigger video and I rewatched that to death
>>77108
same anon… our tastes have matured lol
>>77291
black is by far my favorite and its what I listen to the most, also the memes, its either fangirls or really weird and specific

No. 77398

File: 1582995868454.png (907.15 KB, 450x1060, 1bd38ce53440d94562288b8cba4e42…)

>>76670

I did make my first steps into hard rock with the help of my uncle, yes he likes metallica (the black album to be specific and that's about it) but mostly you well known hard rock acts from the 60s-late 80s. I really went into rock when I was around 17 but at some point I didn't felt like it was enough for me so I got inspired by the osbournes to listen to Black Sabbath (not the solo ozzy stuff) and really liked the music and overall aesthetic so I dig around and endend up listening to obscure psychedelic/doom/occult metal bands.
As the other anon here mentioned here, I also got exposed to black metal through tumblr, because I also liked the visuals of it but did not listened to it because I was way too much of a pussy at this point so I stayed in my lil witchcraft inspired metal thingy. I also loved pentagram next to black sabbath and other stuff that I can't remember now. But at some point I was like, I need to look deeper into the metal genre and got into thrash and death metal (which is waaay to extreme for my uncle, since I like to share my music discoveries with him but for example the early metallica stuff is already too hard for him. I still tiptoe my way around black metal lol

No. 77704

Awww now I wanna film a silly video with my friends, it looks like so much fun

No. 80969

This song makes me want to kill people, in a good way

No. 81059

>>58267
powermetal is magnificient! I truly pity those who are too cool to embrace it.

rhapsody for example did music with fucking saruman, imagine being at a powermetal concert and he’s there, dressed in a fancy robe with his god tier opera voice

No. 81068

>>81059
RIP christopher lee

No. 81410

>>74788
Sorry for the late response, I liked Mgla's new album. I'm pretty new to them so I don't really know which one I like the most.

>>76670
My brother is a metalhead, he liked symphonic metal and owned various band shirts. One day when I was like 10, I searched for Nightwish on youtube and liked it so much, then went downhill from there. He even gave me a Nightwish shirt too, I still have it, it is so small and doesn't fit me anymore.
Then I heard every possible symphonic metal till I became tired and started to explore other subgenres. Today what I like the best is (still don't know what to call it without generating discussion) blackgaze like Deafheaven, Alcest, etc. I'm a big BMTH fan too.
As a metalhead, sometimes I feel ashamed to say that I like some emo bands and other artists who aren't metal at all. Not ashamed to like, it's just that feels like other metalheads will judge me but whatever, right?
I wish that I had more metalhead friends too.

No. 81887

me every time I go through a break up

No. 81909

Easily my favorite album of 2019, they have been my fave modern black metal band for quite a few years. Their live shows are pretty good as well.

No. 81921

File: 1586105242160.jpg (43.24 KB, 597x596, pic2.JPG)


No. 81922

File: 1586105362560.jpg (52.78 KB, 479x598, pic1.JPG)


No. 81923

File: 1586105465770.jpg (74.12 KB, 600x575, pic3.JPG)


No. 82039

>>58299
Yikes, weeb. Neither of those are metal. They're fusions of it.

No. 82767


No. 82770

>>82767
For sure, fam. I love No Quarter, Dyer Maker, Over the Hills, and Goin to California. What about you, friend?

No. 83096

File: 1586571599926.jpg (1.29 MB, 800x1200, 1354-female_silhouette_autism-…)

>>82039
anyway protection is beautiful and I am so glad I got to see them before covid-19 fucked everything up

No. 83281

>>76670
>>83096
anon is a hater, love protection and kodama too.

No. 84216

I was linstening to this super orthodox black metal album and suddenly there is this techno black metal song and wtf I love techno now
https://darkdescentrecords.bandcamp.com/track/the-arrival-of-noctifer
I really recommend the rest of the album as well

No. 84251

>>76670
I was in middle school, when I received my very first iPod as a gift, but I didn't had a PC, so I asked a friend of mine to fill it up with whatever music he wanted to. His brother listened to a lot of music, so there was a couple of System of a Down songs.
From that moment on, I dug futher into metal throught all of my youth.
When I moved to university I quit listening to metal because I'm fucking stupid and thought it would be fine for me trying to get into other genres. I explored, found very cool stuff, but quickly lost interest.
Until recently, I started talking again with a friend who's a metalhead, felt nostalgic and got back into metal. Result is, after more than a year with no music (besides japanese music) I now wake up wanting to listen to music and discover more and more.
Once a metalhead, always a metalhead.

No. 84275

randomly bought it a while ago and freaking love it! Does anybody know something similar? Any recs?

>>84251

>Once a metalhead, always a metalhead.

very true

No. 84318

Relevant

No. 86355

Another huge favorite of 2019 is the latest Midnight Odyssey record (atmospheric BM). I still get teary eyed when listening to "From a Frozen Wasteland" from the previous album.

No. 86458

All Altarage releases are free to download on Bandcamp today! https://altarage.bandcamp.com/

No. 98283

I am a dwarf and I'm digging a hole
diggy diggy hole
diggy diggy hole

No. 104047

This album is how I imagine literal hell sounds like

No. 104458

>>86355
I can't tell whether I made this post or not. I'm a huge Midnight Odyssey fan but in case it was another anon, I just wanted to say hi!

No. 104661

If this upcoming album by Anaal Nathrakh is just half as good as A New Kind of Horror, then I'm sold

No. 104686


No. 104765

fuck yeah, sodom.

No. 104766

Slayer - Live Undead'84

Absolute favourite, especially hearing the people going mental during "Show no mercy".

here the playlist link: https://youtu.be/wAYZ876UiZ4?list=PLqytfNFx9Ghxi4YhfA5nf8fQz3VxnTcTe

No. 104768

Also really digging this album at the moment.

No. 104769

Love the whole "Grand Morbid Funeral" album but this song is the best thing about it tbh.

No. 104773

>>104458
Other anon and fellow Midnight Odyssey fan, hi! I can't wait to hear the follow up to Biolume (Forever Silenced was the jewel of the album imo), and here is their masterpiece.

No. 104788

Anyone here familiar with Author & Punisher? This dude is such a painfully underrated musical genius, and I am aching to sperg about him w/ someone, but no one fucking knows about him

No. 104793

>>104766
Underrated live album. The crowd going wild in every song adds to the chaotic vibe of early slayer.

No. 104799

>>104773
I wish I knew you. irl all the people I know listen to regular metal, dad rock type of thing. Finding someone who listens to BM is hard and it's even harder to find someone who likes atmospheric/cosmic BM.
Shards of Silver Fade is my favourite album of his as well. I also love his experiment album, Converge Rivers of Hell. Did you listen to that one?
He's honestly a genius for a one man band to create such great albums.
Have you listened to the recent Mesarthim album? I thought you might like it.
Sorry for pestering you with my questions, but I don't get to talk about BM a lot, irl or online. I would love to know more about which other bands you like.

No. 104861

>>104793

speaking of underrated slayer albums: I hate how much slayer itself and many fans tend to overlook and ignore Divine Intervention. I mean sure, it's the first album without Dave and King absolute hates the sound mix of it but damn I love it. It's heavy, aggressive and dark and imo the last "real" slayer album. It was also released in the mid 90s and the state of metal at this point was ugh not the same as it used to be in the 80s. Prefer it over "South of Heaven" tbh.

No. 105158

File: 1597917416420.jpg (61.51 KB, 640x640, fdaa29563fe52bf3ac8274b6357f86…)

Do any anons here have battle jackets? Because I tiptoe around the idea of making one for a very long time now but at the same time I feel like I'm not "true metal" enough to wear one lol. I find them super cute (I know, not THE reason why you should make one kek) and I love the idea of broadcasting your taste in metal music on one piece of cloth but at the same time I feel like it belongs to the half human and half bear type of metalhead than somebody like me. Are they too corny to wear? Thoughts?

No. 105163

>>105158
Only ever saw this on borderline inbred racist scrotes in school but go for it if you wish to

No. 105172

Please listen to this song. From the moment I heard the first riff I knew I would love this band, so I want to show it to you all, someone might love it like I do.
>>105158
I don't know what to think about them, it definitely looks dumb but it's amazing to see a jacket covered in patches because it takes lots of time and money. And it's also good because you can show what you like and maybe make friends who like the same bands. I think it looks best though if you get just one huge patch and put it over the back of the jacket. Or you could put them on a bag/backpack, I've seen some people like that, it looks a bit cooler than a jacket in my opinion
>>104788
This is really nice I love the guitar sound, I wish the vocals were all screams though
>>104686
Nordland I and II are the only worthwhile Bathory albums change my mind

No. 105173

>>105172
Yeah I love Kriegsmaschine. You will also like Mgla. Those bands make the best BM. Their drummer is just amazing.

No. 105176

>>105173
Hell yeah, I loved mgla first and then I found out they have another band, now I love kriegsmaschine even more than mgla, the overall feeling is just completely nihilistic. Their drummer is like a god, sometimes it sounds to me like he is just banging randomly but he's drumming the same pattern over and over, it's just too complex for my plebeian ears. Like how does he do this, I can't even tap 2 different rhythms with my left and right hand.

No. 105185

I want to start listening to metal more and you anons seem to have really good taste. What albums/artists would you recommend? I currently listen to a lot of post punk and darkwave if that helps.

No. 105188

>>105185
> I currently listen to a lot of post punk and darkwave if that helps.
Hey me too. I really like Looking for Semblance by Death Comes Crawling, a darkwave/dark synth album. It was made by the same guy who does atmospheric black metal under the name of Midnight Odyssey so definitely check him out. I keep shilling him everywhere but I truly think his works are great.

Here are some others that I like:
White Ward - Love Exchange Failure
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQ7Od-9l6Aw
Путь - Песни смерти
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqAtk5D1R1Y
Midnight Odyssey / Igric / Aeon Winds - Ardorem
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MEND8M3GEWw
Karg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9f_aNkC8JQc
Ofdrykkja - Gryningsvisor
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4t3Sqx2_hoE
Selbst - Relatos de Angustia
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2R-QWpNACY
There's also Mgla and Kriegsmaschine that were mentioned previously, Panzerfaust, Batushka, 1914, The Ruins of Beverast (check his Exuvia) and these are quite popular in BM circles.

No. 105221

>>105188
Hey thanks anon you’re a doll! Gonna check this all out.

No. 105329

>>105221
Thanks, you too! I hope you enjoy.

No. 105697

Guys, I'm overjoyed, one of my favorite bands of all time, Elend has announced a new album (they are not metal but only metalheads listen to them afaik)! They hadn't released new material in 13 years and for the past two or or three years they've hinted the release or something new, and there we are, new album by the end of the year with remasters and vinyls of their previous albums. You have no idea how happy I am about this!

>>104799
Same, I have like two IRL friend who I can talk music with and only one listens to BM, and I don't frequent online communities like RYM because they are pozzed with woke shit.
I think Biolume will become my favorite album of his with time, the melodies and atmospheres are more of my taste, more intimate and diverse. I haven't listened to his other project. I have not heard of the band you posted, but I really liked it!
In BM, I love Schammasch, The Ruins of Beverast (Rain Upon the Impure is actually my favorite BM album), Hail Spirit Noir, Blut Aus Nord, Nokturnal Mortum, Summoning, Pensées Nocturnes, Glaciation, Deathspell Omega (only the trilogy) and a few others. I don't like 90s norwegian BM, I prefer more modern stuff (but not shitty American bands like Deafheaven), what are your favorite bands?

No. 105746

File: 1598333209207.jpeg (61.76 KB, 349x349, BE6C664C-4641-422F-9397-44B020…)


No. 105750

Do you know of the amazing black metal scene on Iceland? If you don't, here are my recommendations:

Sinmara, Svartidauði (they sound sort of "standard", not in a bad way, but in the way that everything else on my list I compare to their sound, I would recommend them to anyone)
Misthyrming (their first album is in my opinion one of the best black metal albums, ever)
Endalok (sounds like being trapped in an icy cave)
Naðra (this is a bit more "rock and roll" if that makes sense)
0 (it' s more doom than black metal, like Naðra but very slow; it's hard to google so here: https://0000000.bandcamp.com/)
Skáphe (this is 50% icelandic but I want to mention it, sounds like literal hell, I posted it above.)
Almyrkvi, Andavald, Wormlust, Abominor (less angry pummeling and more atmosphere)
Mannveira (sounds dissonant and distorted and real angry)
Martröð (international band, all the members are very skilled musicians for example Wrest)

Most of the bands here share members and sound similar, so if you like one of the bands you will probably like the rest, so I ask of you all to check just one of these, and if you have to listen to just one song, try the one I embedded. There's so many more bands besides these. Can you believe that there's so many amazing black metal bands there though?? Iceland has a population of only 360 000.
Also a bonus: half of these bands I listed have their albums free to download on bandcamp.

No. 105752

>Only listen to Reggae and Dub
>Hardly feel anything while listening, just chilling
>Then listens to Black Sabbath after 10 years
>Feels like a spiritual awakening

No. 105761

File: 1598361160506.jpg (47.83 KB, 481x595, dave.JPG)

>>105752

Hell yeah, Black Sabbath! They got me into metal and therefore have a very special place in my heart.

What's your fave era and album?

>>105750

Ty, will def check them out!

No. 105763

File: 1598361743801.png (295.57 KB, 800x803, 117940899_2737871776312385_487…)

>>105761
I found a similar meme

No. 105766

>>105763

makes me wonder how this timeline would look like, if varg never happened to the black metal scene.

No. 105773


No. 105844

>>105761
Ozzy is the best singer ever to me. Also Sabbath Bloody Sabbath and Paranoid

No. 105855

>>105697
> I don't frequent online communities like RYM because they are pozzed with woke shit.
Neither do I. I have a few select YT channels like Black Metal Promotion which I follow and Metal Archives. That's pretty much it. No drama, no personalities, just pure BM music and discussion.
> I think Biolume will become my favorite album of his with time, the melodies and atmospheres are more of my taste, more intimate and diverse.
I like Biolume too and can't wait for the second part although, personally, nothing tops his "Converge rivers of Hell".

> I don't like 90s norwegian BM, I prefer more modern stuff (but not shitty American bands like Deafheaven)

Yeah me too. I never saw the appeal. The modern BM music is so much better and diverse.

> what are your favorite bands?

Also The Ruins of Beverast, Blut Aus Nord but then Kriegsmaschine, Panzerfaust, Mgla, Imperial Circus Dead Decadence (it's japanese and I'm not sure how BM it is), The Great Old Ones, Aeon Winds, Mesarthim, Karg.
I also keep finding new bands through the aforementioned YT channel Black Metal Promotion. It warms my heart when I see countries from other places in the world outside of Europe producing great BM music.

No. 105856

>>105855
Also, it goes without saying that Midnight Odyssey is my favorite BM band.

No. 105860

File: 1598457552096.gif (3.72 MB, 400x300, Natalie_Cole_Whitney_Houston.g…)

>>105844

I'm the anon who asked and this is the answer I was hoping for because I agree 1000%. Ozzy era is best Sabbath era and SBS and Paranoid are god-tier.

No. 106083

I saw some mentions of Panzerfaust above, they just released a new album! https://panzerfaust.bandcamp.com/album/the-suns-of-perdition-chapter-ii-render-unto-eden
I've seen them live last year, it took me 15 minutes to notice the vocalist. He was dressed in a black cloak and he was standing in the back behind the drummer. He was like 2 metres tall. I wouldn't have noticed him if his microphone cable didn't shimmer. It was so weird

No. 106232

I remember Angela Gossow getting me into metal. How could I ever abandon it? Hi thread

No. 106233

File: 1598734670905.jpg (53.11 KB, 500x750, 1992_artist-e1395092433664.jpg)

>>106232
heart goes doki doki

No. 106235

>>106232
think this gig might be better still

No. 106774

>>76753
I think the thought that metalheads are only white is a misconception that African Americans have. Metal is an international genre, there's loads of metalheads in South America, the Middle-East, South-East Asia, Japan, Africa, Europe etc.

No. 107889

I clicked on Panzerfaust's website linked in their bandcamp and this is that I got lmao
http://www.panzerfaustblackmetal.com/

No. 107976


No. 108058

>>106233
Uwaa Angera-chan sugoiii
Arch Enemy with her as singer were great.
I wonder what she is doing these days?

No. 108747

>>108058
she's managing bands desu

No. 108878

I never liked Uada much but they are making a new album and this new song sounds nice actually; I'm excited for the whole album now. I admire their dedication to the album arts with the planet above a figure even though they look bad.

No. 108880

>>108878
lmao I just noticed the lyrics, they're cringe as usual

No. 108923




Delete Post [ ]
[Return] [Catalog]
[ Rules ] [ ot / g / m ] [ pt / snow / w ] [ meta ] [ Discord ]